Weight Loss Progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Saturday, January 14, 2012

To eat, or not to eat? That is the question of today :)

Okay, here is my dilema of the day.  Is it better to eat an unhealthy breakfast (say an egg McMuffin from McD's) or not eat?

I ran into this problem today where I have someplace to be at a certain time, and I have a hubby who threw out his back, and a vomiting child, and the clock is ticking to get out the door and get a shower, and clothes on, and sheets in the laundry, and so on and so on.  Needless to say I did not have the time to make a healthy breakfast for myself (I actually even microwaved leftover coffee from yesterday because I didn't have time to brew a fresh pot).  I almost stopped at McD's for a something, but didn't really have time for that.  I was still 5 minutes late to my appointment as it was. 

This is not the first time I've encountered this issue in my struggles over the years to eat better, and in most cases the time ends up being the priority, and I skip breakfast.  I can't do simply a doughnut, or cinnamon roll either as it sends my sugar levels into chaos and without the protein I will end up with the shakes, and dizzy, and ultimately my eyes go wonky and I can't see.  So I'm better for those purposes to not eat if it's only a sugar something, even if it kick starts my metabolism for the day. 

So which is it?  Eat an unhealthy, fast, whatever I can get my hands on breakfast, or skip until I can eat something healthy later in the morning, maybe even until lunch?  I am really curious to hear the answers to this question.  I'd also like solutions for a fast and healthy option to have available in a pinch.

4 comments:

  1. My Opinion: Best thing to do is have something healthy that doesn't require any preparation, something you can grab and take with you even. Apple, Yogurt w/plastic spoon, mozzarella string cheese stick. Don't go without eating just because you couldn't cook. If you didn't have any of those things on hand, a stop at a gas station for an apple in a basket is just as quick as a stop to McD's, and maybe it will help tide you over till you can actually eat something good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should check out the "eat this, not that" series of books. They have them at most local libraries. Every question you've asked is answered there. One of the books has a whole section on breakfast foods, and even a guide to healthy breakfast choices offered at fast food places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, to follow up with this question, I have picked up a few things to make breakfast easier. I bought some Planters breakfast bars, and some of those breakfast on the go packs so I won't be without breakfast in the future :):):) Thanks all for the help and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I leave a small thing of almonds in my car for those times that I either have no time to stop or just don't want to because it will be an unhealthy choice. I love the Breakfast on the Go packs, my husband begs me to buy them too! You could also keep peanut butter handy for a protein boost. I have made ahead egg muffins in a muffin pan and just popped them in the microwave for 30 seconds too. It's just eggs, veggies, cheese, and meat cooked in a muffin pan. Two of them are quite filling!

    ReplyDelete