Weight Loss Progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Butter vs. Margerine???

Okay, so I have been using the natural sea salt.  Actually, I can say I've purchased it, and used it only the once on the Sweet Potato Fries and haven't touched any type of salt since either in cooking or eating (unless it was there when I started, but I have added none).  I appriciate all the input on the salt issue, and am going with the less is more theory and so my new salt only has one ingredient, SALT :):):)

Now onto another dilema.  Real butter (no salt of course) or the gazillion types of margerine, diet butters, kinda like butter but not, and anything of the sort. 

Years ago when I did South Beach (which really worked for me, I just have kids, and low resistance for a long period of time) I was using the diet butter.  I am now using whatever is on sale with my eyes on Trans Fat, and low sodium.  I also use real butter for cooking and such, but the no trans fat stuff in the tub for soft butter.  I think I'm doing okay, but I'm not sure.  I like the idea of real butter, and all that, but I like the low fat part of the margarine as well.  HELP is greatly appreciated.  I think about it and remember my grandma used to cook with LARD and lived into her early 90's, so maybe there is something to be said about "the old fashioned" way.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, try a bottle of the spray "I can't believe it's not butter." Even the kids here love it, and it's easier to control how much you put on things. I spray it over the veggies so that they all get some, but it's not dripping in butter. We've all been using it here and it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, ohh, I know this one!!! Butter/lard is a natural food that is essential to your health and brain function...particularly when you eat a lot of organic or raw foods. Growing up, we always used margarine because everyone thought it was better for you. Not true though, however the hydrogenated polyunsaturated oils like margarine can be really awful for you. I am a firm believer in moderation though. Like I said I grew up on margarine and I have never had any major health problems yet *knock on wood* So to answer your question, butter is much better for you, but even healthy oils should be used in moderation. Just like the red wine being good for your heart....well, 5 glasses counteracts that. Same thing with butter. A few tablespoons per day in your diet is good. 2 sticks a day in your food...not so much. Also, you want to find a high quality butter. we use Horizon Organic unsalted butter. It's more expensive but at the same time, makes you think about how much of you use so you are only using just enough to flavor your food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another alternate when you're baking - use Crisco. Crisco, along with extra water, can substitute for butter or margarine. It's like 1/3 less fat or something. Just read the Crisco package and it'll tell you what to do. You can get the butter flavor by adding in a few drops of Wilton butter flavoring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I found your blog on Pinterest and had to go back to the beginning so I can stay caught up! I too have decided to be a healthier me in 2012 and am trying to cut back on sodiums and fats and choose healthier and more natural foods.

    I always have used spray butter, but I looked at the ingredients the other day and tossed it out. Way too many chemiclas and things I can't pronounce. I think butter is okay in small amounts, and I replace butter with olive oil when I make things like mac and cheese, or just omit it completely. Good luck, looking forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete