Weight Loss Progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thursday, January 5, 2012

This is the beginning

Okay, so I've decided to start a blog to help keep me on task while I struggle my way through the process of losing weight.  I am not a writer, I am a Home Stager.  I'm a horrible speller so you'll have to excuse my many mistakes as we move on.  I also tend to over use :):):), so I'm sorry if that bothers you.  I'm going to lay out my plan to lose weight and try to track my progress, downfalls, and successes along the way.

GOALS:
     Be Healthy - with heart disease on both sides of my family (Mom and Dad both have heart problems) this is very much on the forefront of my brain, and since I have the tire around the tummy, it is very likely in my future if I don't change something soon.
     Lose weight - according to the guidelines I need to lose somewhere between 40-50 lbs.
     Like what I see in the mirror
     Not Break the Bank - I know I need to be healthier, but I also need to be out of debt.
     Set a good example for my kids - I figure by being healthy that helps my kiddos.  One they will have a good role model for their lives, and two I will be here in the long run to support, love and cherish them.

So here is my plan:
Food -
I am a mom of three and I can't say that I'll never have another slice of pizza or an order of fries, in fact I would rather stay over weight than say that :).  However I can say that when cooking at home I will make choices that will promote the overall health of me and my family.  Here are the guidelines I plan to follow:
     Low Fat - which means 93% fat free ground beef, leaner meats, low fat sour cream, and cutting fats whenever possible.
     Low Carb - not no carb, but LOW carb.  I will choice whole grains, less sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, and any other carb I can get rid of
     Low sodium - I have Heart Disease in my family, and since I'm not one to add a lot of salt to anything but french fries anyway (which I shouldn't be eating), this should not be an issue.
     Tasty - I have to make sure things taste good or I will FAIL.  I love food, I spend much of my time thinking about food and when it doesn't taste good I will cheat. 
      Kid Friendly - Everything I make must ultimately pass the kid inspection.  I don't plan to make them eat broccoli every night, however I also will not be making two meals so if I make broccoli it will likely be accompanied or combined with something they will eat like CHEESE :)  I can then disguise it enough for them to eat it. 
     Less Processing - So the more I read, or watch about healthy eating I am buying into the less processed, more whole food theory.  I can't say I'm going to personally prepare every item on my menu, but I will be very aware of the things that I buy. 

Exercise -
Okay so exercise is NOT my favorite thing!  Maybe I should say that again, EXERCISE IS NOT MY FAVORITE!!!  However, I do enjoy Zumba (I was a dancer when I was a kid), but since our current budget does not allow for our gym membership it's not as fun without the class.  I do have one of the DVD sets though, so that will help.
So the plan is to exercise 3-4 times a week.  I am hoping to get the p90X for my birthday in February, but I will work on my Zumba.  That being said I can not start exercising  until January 13th (due to Dr. orders after a minor surgery in December).  I also would like to do better at walking outside, and riding my bike.

Not Breaking the Bank -
So every time I am at the grocery store and try to chose healthier choices, I tend to spend more money. Well, recently I have been doing really well price matching sales at Walmart, and combining with coupons. I can't say I'm a coupon guru by any means, or that I've been "paid" to grocery shop, but I have noticed a HUGE decrease in my grocery budget. So my plan is to continue to use these strategies but towards leaner meats, fresher fruits and vegetables, as well as for the other stuff (shampoos, soaps, etc.)
I also don't currently have a gym membership.  I had one for 5 1/2 years and cancelled it in December due to budget constraints, the reason for all of this not to break the bank.  I have not plan to get a new membership as we didn't really utilize it effectively anyway.  So I'll have to use my DVD's and the great outdoors for my exercise program.

I will also NOT be joining a weight loss program.  I have contemplated it, and looked into several however they cost money.  Money I don't have.  Which brings me to this blog.  I need some accountability.  I also need ideas, and motivation and most of all someone to tell about all my struggles. 


So there you have it, the goals, the plan, and the reasons.  I hope some of you out in the World will follow my jouney to keep me accountable and maybe we can help each other if you happen to be on a similar road to a lesser you :):):)

9 comments:

  1. I think that's awesome Misty. Good for you! I will be following you. And I don't know if you look at the fitness posts on pinterest but you can find lots of inspiring stories there. There are also supposed to be ways of getting cheaper gym memberships if you decide you really want that.
    OK, well good luck! You can do it. If you run a house with 3 kids I think you can do anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you've heard it a million times, but I think it bears repeating as often as possible: the most effective way is to eat a little less and move a little more.
    Weight loss & fitness is definitely not easy, but it's also not nearly as complicated as everybody makes it. Main thing is just staying on task!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! First comment is on lowered fat foods. There are many recent studies that prove that eating fat does not actually "make you fat". To lower the fat content in many lowered fat foods they add other ingredients including sugars that are actually converted to fat much easier than the original fat. Here is a quick link to an article on livestrong.com (great site for facts). http://www.livestrong.com/article/295215-low-fat-diet-myths

    My main rule is to never eat anything store bought that has more than 5 ingredients.

    Good luck and stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Thank you all so much for the motivation, and insights. I'm open to any and all advice and comments (as long as they are in a positive and motivational nature). As for lowering fats for weight loss - not all my goals are for weight loss. Some of those aspects are for health, and heart disease prevention. It has been recommended to me to eat a "heart healthy" diet as I'm at high risk for heart problems (Dad had one type of heart disease, and mom has another so I'm at major risk). Which is also the low sodium idea. Another aspect of my diet theories have to do with Hubby's Triglycerite level. His last results were over the moon high, and so this is for his health as well.

    Again, thanks everyone for the motivation. It's nice to see the support already flowing in :)

    P.S. Pintrest is part of how I got into this process. I'm finding to many outfits I want, and saw many recipes I want to try, and so here we are. I'll have to look at the fitness stuff now too :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an awesome plan! I'll check in with you frequently. :)

    I am also hoping for less of me in 2012. Right now I am weighing in at 142.. supposed to be under 130 for a healthier 5ft body. :)

    This past Monday I joined a weight loss competition with some girlfriends... we have to weigh in once a week. The winner will have the biggest percentage of weight loss (weight loss/ beginning weight). We each kicked in $20.. winner takes 70%, 2nd place takes 20%, and 3rd place takes 10%. With 14 participants, the winnings are big. Our last weigh in will be on March 19th.

    We're also cheering each other on with a supportive facebook group and sharing recipes.

    You can do it! And so can I!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cheryl ;) I am hoping for a much smaller me as well. I was doing better a year or so ago when I was going to the gym regularly, but life and work got in the way, and well, all went down the toilet :) I have changed many of my eating habits as far as style of eating but not much in quantity (and you know I can eat :). I think much of my issues started when I quit smoking (11 years ago now), I replaced that with food. Since I'm 5'8" I'm able to spread some of that out, and having three kids and my own business keeps my lifestyle fairly active which also helps, but now I need to be back where I like what I see in the mirror.

    Anyway, happy to have you here Cheryl, and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to get really daring and have your posts published to Facebook each time you write (as mine do) I recommend searching on FB for Networked Blogs. It will auto publish your blog and also link you to other people who I have thought have been fun to interact with when I have never even met them before. :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a Start! Keep up the work, take it day by day or even min by min!!!
    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see your progress! It's hard work, but totally worth it! You look beautiful already, you will be smoking when your done! :-)

    ReplyDelete